Looking for a Criminal Defense Lawyer? Look for These Qualities.
Experience, Cost, and Results Matter
If you’ve been charged with a crime in Indiana, you need a criminal defense attorney to protect your rights and your freedom (see this post about why you shouldn’t even consider trying to defend yourself). Failure to hire the right lawyer can result in extraordinary penalties, including extended imprisonment and significant fines.
Years of experience handling cases like yours, legal fees charged, and a reputation for favorable results are all key factors in choosing the right lawyer to defend your case. Make sure the lawyer you hire to represent you is known for aggressively defending clients, successfully obtaining acquittals or withdrawals of criminal charges, and negotiating reasonable plea bargains.
Questions you should always ask when looking for a criminal defense lawyer are:
- How long have you practiced criminal law in Indiana?
- Is your practice primarily focused on criminal defense?
- How many people have you represented with cases like mine?
- In how many cases like mine have you achieved favorable results?
- Will you personally handle my case or will someone else in your office work on it?
- How much will you charge to represent me?
- How long does it usually take to defend a case like this one?
Personal Qualities of a Criminal Defense Lawyer Are Also Important
Great criminal defense lawyers have a solid knowledge of the Indiana Criminal Code, understand the nuances and peculiarities of courts across the state, and are familiar with the likely approaches and strategies of prosecutors. Additionally, the best defense lawyers possess the following qualities:
- Availability and responsiveness
- Ability to explain case options in plain language
- Willingness to challenge authority
- Understanding of what you are going through and what you are facing
- Problem solving skills
- Passion for justice
By hiring an Indiana criminal defense attorney possessing these personal qualities, you are more likely to obtain a successful outcome in your criminal case.
The laws governing legal advertising in the state of Indiana require the following statement in any publication of this kind: “THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT.” This website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice, nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship.